Friday, February 10, 2012

Me...33 Years



I've been very thoughtful with this birthday. I think being a mom with little ones has made me this way. When you have little people that you are trying to grow and guide, you see the world through new eyes. I've also been thinking that since this is my journal, it might be fun to look back and see what kind of "milestones" I met at age 33! Ha!

Also, I am warning you ahead of time...this will probably get sappy.

My Loves:
  • My girls, of course. Specifically I love our days at home when we don't have to go anywhere. I know these days are numbered and precious and I have been trying to enjoy them as much as possible. I love the way they are playing together (and fighting). I love that they fight to get my attention, and Norah still asks every night if I will snuggle with her. I do it even when all I want is some mind stimulating TV (like Intervention) and a glass of wine. I love how much they need me...even though that is what also exhausts me.
  • My husband. He is so good to me. I pray that my girls find someone who loves them like he loves me.
  • Good books, wine, coffee, cooking, squishy faces (not mine...), friends, quiet moments, teaching (usually), and my family.

My Challenges:

  • Our financial situation has been tough this year. We are having to work a lot to make ends meet, and it feels like there is never enough. We have faith that things will get better, and we are grateful to be able to work and provide for our family.
  • Letting go and NOT OVERDOING IT!!! I come from a long line of classic over-doers where the idea of making things perfect begins to take over the real reason any of it is happening anyway.
Motherhood...

...is so much more difficult than I ever imagined. I knew it would be hard. I've never been afraid of hard work, but the "hard" in mothering is unlike any other job I've had for several reasons.

1. You are never done.

2. People are uncontrollable.

3. I only have two hands.

That being said, it is also the most devastatingly fantastic thing that has happened to me in life so far. I love my kids with everything I have. I understand what it feels like to know that you would die for those little faces.

Marriage...

...is tough too, but worth the effort. We celebrated 9 years in December, and have the Big 10 coming up this year. It's hard to believe we are old enough to be married that long! I'm not very good at expressing my mushy feelings- I'm working on it. But I know how lucky I am. God blessed my very undeservedly with a GOOD MAN who would do anything for me.

My Hopes:
  • A renewed trust in God
  • Mature confidence
  • Strong healthy girls
  • A marriage that withstands hardships
  • Good, faithful friends
  • To get what's left of my shape back!!!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Somehow I missed this one? Good idea to take a post for yourself....very nicely done. And great pic of the four of you!

Tim and Melisa said...

Enjoyed reading this! Love you!