Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Mother's Day

I'm feeling uninspired in this blogging thing.  It could be that I'm catching up on almost 3 years of photo books and it's moving painfully slowly.  Why?   Because these 3 cutie pies are a lot of fuh-reakin' work.  Spare time where I can finish thoughts and be semi-intelligent and or creative is very limited.  It could be that I'm a list person, and deep down I may have thought that this Mom Gig would settle down and get easier when everyone started sleeping through the night.  That I would be more rested, more present, just more.  That I could sort of check it off my list when I had it mastered.  That sounds really arrogant when I think about it.  The truth is, that this Mom Gig is the hardest thing I've ever done.  It doesn't get any easier.  It probably won't.

























So here's what I've learned in this last year of my Mom Training.

1.  Allowing my girls to make their own choices is powerful.
2. My house is never going to be as clean as it was before we had kids. 
3.  I am an introvert, and I need time by myself, in my house to feel truly rested.
4.  Yelling less changes a house dynamic.
5.  It's important not to multi-task.
6.  Carseats are one of the most disgusting food traps invented. 
7.  It's okay to let the dog in after meals to clean up the floor.
























We celebrated Mother's Day with some close friends in town.  It's become a tradition now to have the guys "plan" and prepare the meal while we sit and drink wine.  It was hot.  The kids played outside for awhile, and then practiced their dance moves.



One more thing I've learned.  I crave the wisdom and understanding of fellow moms.  It used to be about comparing tricks and tips.  SHE  is great at ______.  If I could do _______ like HER, I would be happy.   I like to think that it's more about admiring and appreciating the different ways we handle our very different selves with our very different children...all on very common ground.  Happy Mother's Day.  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen. To all of this. I love hearing your insights. This mom gig is easier if we all stick together :)

Unknown said...

So true!

Connie said...

You inspire me to be a better mother to my kids. "One more thing I've learned. I crave the wisdom and understanding of fellow moms." You are always great to give insights into my kids, especially with your teacher patience and love.

Unknown said...

Connie, that means so much to me! You inspire me with your generosity and giving nature. I admire that about you.